Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 4: Your parents

If there's one thing I've said it's, "I love my parents!" Now you may be thinking, "Of course Adam loves his parents. He's a bastard, and he's always been a bastard." In fact, here I am, judging the size of Sean's head. He can't help it, but I sure can judge. You might think this is cute, until you find out the boy is wiping his face because I just spit in it. While I'm not technically a bastard, I have spurts of being a jerk. My parents had the joy of living through those uncanny moments.

My Dad: Electron Ron

My dad has been an inspiration to me. At a very late age, he experienced the amazing, radical power of God and found freedom from negative mindsets and cycles of insanity. His childhood was no walk in the park. His dad passed away when my dad was preschool-aged. He really had no idea how to be a father in hard times, and my three brothers and I experienced that. Did that hurt my relationship with him? Heck, yeah! He was my high school chemistry and physics teacher, and we cussed each other out in class.

Thankfully, we began working on our relationship (with help from counseling) when I was a senior in high school. I think my older brothers may have missed out on this sort of bonding that we got to take part in, and it could play a part in the potential disconnect. My dad and I have forgiven and apologized for our actions and reactions. He is a new man. A new father. And I hope to see him continue to heal and grow as a loving grandpa to my nephews (and potential nieces), as well as my children.

My Mom: The Mama Bear

My mom was one of my favorite people in my early life. I wanted to protect her from any harm. I hated the idea that something I did might hurt her heart, even going as far as not wanting to tell her I really didn't like a particular pro wrestling action figure she got me. My mom is a terrific listener. She would take me to Champaign, IL to go shopping with her. The 30-minute car-ride there and back was either filled with us singing to Oldies 92 or me telling her about my life, good and bad. I could tell her anything, and that really added some support to my life at fragile times.

While my dad and I had a very tense relationship through junior high and high school, my mom and I rarely had tension. She is a living embodiment of servant. She volunteered for tons of parent helper positions, while I was in school. She was one of my first musical inspirations (although I strayed away from Music Ed. because she warned me not to go into that program). ;) Who knew I would end up being just like her, a worship leader...that's not it. Try THIS. Closer, but not quite. Here ya go; although, my enthusiasm level there is not quite as high as the other jiggle jaggles. 

I love my family. Some pictures with Chris, below.

My nuclear family with Mother Goose.

More of my family...



2 comments:

  1. My favorite part is the matching socks in the Mother Goose picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother had a knack for matching us all!

    ReplyDelete