Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 23: Favorite books

One thing you may recall I that I love reading. Ever since I was a wee little brat, I have found escape and relaxation in the wonderment that is reading. Is it because I have an imagination this size of a pluralized universe? Maybe it's because I was hit with a book whilst in the womb, and this is how I get my ghastly revenge. I don't know.

All I know is that I read all the time before we got video game systems. Then, I read some of the time.

Oh sisters, I revel in the memories of the R.L. Stine Goosebumps series. The Boxcar Children were out boxed and out carred in my imagination. Even The Babysitter's Club was clubbed by my triumphant reading skills.

But then I stumbled upon Redwall. A fictional world where animals can talk, wear clothes, and wield weapons to protect the Redwall Abbey. My friend, Jean, and I would scamper through the prairie behind her father's house, swinging sticks wildly about as we pretended to be Martin the Warrior and such other legendary heroes. This world of fantasy was quite the escape I needed in a time where all the voices around me condemned me and hated me for something I had no control over. In this terrible world, these teenagers decided I was gay and that it was wrong to be gay. But in the walls of Redwall Abbey, I was a valiant hare, adorned in a blue vest, who also had a knack for lute playing. Was this mighty beast labeled with such belittling terms? No. He was adorned with praise.

A few years later, I became bewitched, if you will, by a rising series...Harry Potter. I don't need to explain how quickly I fell into this splendor of witchcraft. However, the blasted writer was taking her sweet @$$ time writing, so I filled in the dry spells with X-MEN novels. The supernatural always makes it better.

Spoiler Alert!

I had to stop reading Harry Potter books because I realized I was getting way too involve in said series. After the great match between three schools, Harry and Cedric touch the "finish line" at the same time. Without any warning, Cedric Diggory is killed. Just like that! This sweet leader of the Gryffindor pack is plucked from the pages of the book! Even though I am wholeheartedly Slytherin, I cried, "Why not Malfoy!?" I bawled in agony for what seemed like eons, but was realistically 30-45 minutes. I could not sleep. Tears would not cease. My mind raced. Would he reappear later like how Yoda makes a final appearance as a ghostly spirit in the end of Star Wars? Who else would this wench of a writer kill off!? And that's when I stopped reading Harry Potter.

I will watch the movies, and at some point, I may pick up a Harry Potter book again. But until that day, I'll read Twilight and other mythic phenomenon with a grain of salt. Literally, I will hold a grain of salt between my thumb and forefinger.

Favorite Book: Jane Eyre?

3 comments:

  1. I am glad I was not the only kid running around playing Redwall.

    Also, Cedric Diggory was a Hufflepuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Who knew my memory had done so wrong after 6 or so years!? Thanks for the correction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that was a very defining moment. The books went from being fun and games for kids to more serious. :(

    ReplyDelete