Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 10: Something you’re afraid of

While Hope Floats is celebrating being in two consecutive posts of mine, she will not make it a third in a row...dang...never mind. She just outsmarted me for the third. However, she is the not the subject of "Something you're afraid of" because I could take her in a bar fight. Not in a wrestling match, though. Obviously, she would have her manager "Fabulous" Pamela distract the referee and me with her "fabulous" dance moves, and Angie would hit me with the brass knuckles. I'd be down and out for the ol' 1-2-3.

What am I afraid of? You may be thinking to yourself, "Adam the American, bird ain't afraid of nothing," but that is not true. While I am freakin' Slytherin, due to my ambitious nature and desire to be famous, I have long had a slight fear of snakes. To drum this back up in my memory, I have had two, count them, TWO nightmares of snakes.

  1. I was in my parents' house again, as a teenager. There was a wicker ottoman in my bedroom. What was inside this wicker ottoman? A rattlesnake. I tried to have the ottoman chest stuck shut, by jamming it against the doorway, but the freaking snake got out. It followed me down the stairs, and I had to go outside to get away. It then went back in the house. I hoped I could lure it outside the home away from the family. That dirty snake tricked me!
  2. I was in my room in my parents' house, again. My dog Buoy was there with me. I don't know how, but a snake got onto my bed. Buoy was trying to protect me from it. There was all sorts of tussle with the comforter, trying to get the snake trapped in it. I think the snake bit Buoy. I freaked out because I thought Buoy had blood all over him, but we had spilt Kool-Aid on him in the tussle. 
As I was expressing my distaste for snakes with Carrie, I reminded myself of my horrible snake experiences as a child. My best friend at the time, Jennifer (Farrington) Eisenmann, and I were walking around the neighborhood, delivering flowers for May Day. As we turned down Railroad Avenue, we were having careless chatter about this or that, and all of a sudden, we felt something hit our shoulders! We jumped and screamed a bit, turning around to find a snake on the ground with holes in it! We ran away quite fast. My father told me it was probably trying to get in a bird's nest, and the bird pecked the crap out of it. 

Weeks later, if not months, I was riding my bike to Pells Park. Guess what! A freaking snake fell from a tree and hit my bike. It, too, had holes in it from a fight with a bird. And that's how I tie my whole blog together. From fighting Angie to a snake getting destroyed by a bird. 

2 comments: