Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 33: The places and people you've lived with

Gabe Thaman gets the win for what to write about today! Where have I lived? Let me take you back...

I was born to a lovely parents in Paris, IL. I was the youngest of four brothers (Chris, Sean, Zach, and me). I only lived with my oldest brother four a couple of years before he moved to live with his mom.

I stayed in Paris until I was three years old. Then, we moved to Paxton, IL, where I would blow away the competition.

Fifteen years later, I moved to Champaign to live with Zach, Zach's best friend, Zach's ex-girlfriend, and her best friend.  That was an interesting year. Tales of people getting too drunk and wandering into the wrong bedroom and all that jazz. Zach and I worked at Hobbico together, so that was more bonding time, too!

The next year, I moved back to Paxton to live with my parents. They were thrilled, I'm sure.

About a year and a half later, I moved to a studio apartment in Champaign, a block away from Brad and Katie Hart. There, I shared a bathroom with two sixty year old men and some others somewhat closer to my age. Needless to say, I wore flip flops in the shower. That's the shower I killed my phone by talking to Leann over the mobile in the shower.

About half a year later, I moved in with a number of people. I don't remember them all. Daniel Goulet was the easiest to get along with since we were similar, as they say in Spanish. I shared a garage for a bedroom with Daniel Turner. I always felt like I annoyed him because he had to get up early and my life was not so bound by early morning times.

The next year, I moved to an apartment building, where I roomed with Chris Petersen, Paul Egli, and later Stephen Johnson. What I loved best about this was the "Friends" set up we had with the apartment across the hall being filled by Joanna Machen, Jill Rackow, Gatanya Arnic, and Gatanya's daughter. This was an overall fun living situation. Especially getting to watch good TV with Joanna!

At some point, I moved to Mahomet, IL with Josh and Michelle Bubniak! They had extra bedroom, the Princess room, and I had a need for speed. It was a good time. Michelle and I cried as we watched Rent and ate cookie dough. 

Me and Gabe
The next year, I moved with Gabe Thaman into Andrew and Audrey Kamm's house. Gabe, Andrew, and I were all pastoral interns at The Vineyard Church, and the Kamms' were giving us a great deal living there with them. Sometimes, Gabe and I would run out of toilet paper, but at least we had a shower. 

The next year, Gabe and I moved in with Bob and Jean Mason, an older couple from The Vineyard Church who often rented out rooms to internationals and the sort. Their grandson lived there with them. We shared a bathroom with him. There was also an older female pastor living upstairs. At one point, there were three girls from Eastern Europe who were selling books around town. For another bit, Jorge from Mazatlan lived with us. Then Stephen Johnson moved in with us, too. Always good people. 

Gabe was my favorite roommate of all time. I don't know of anyone else who I got along with soooo well. We were quite complementary. 

About a couple years later, I moved in with Mike Slone. I fried a lot of food. Mike had good costume and man parties. He also had good video games. I did not like having to live on the third floor with washers and dryers on the first floor, but Mike was a easy, cheap person to rent from. 

The next year, I moved in to a one-bedroom apartment. It was a great time. It was also behind El Toro, so I was confused by the smell of pancakes or grease or whatever when I'd wake up in the morning. 

Less than a year later, I moved to the good ol' Peoria, IL. I live by myself; however, I can walk about a block and hang out with Mark and Carrie Egli, who live in the same complex. Peoria is great. You should move here and work at Par-A-Dice with me. 

What shall I write about tomorrow?

4 comments:

  1. My mom and step-dad had their wedding reception at Bob and Jean Mason's house back in 1986. Just an interesting tidbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh! I can't beliv I left off the Princess room!

    Heather, the Masons have always been opening up their home, it seems! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOMORROW: A LESSON YOU STILL HAVEN'T LEARNED.

    ReplyDelete