Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Freaking Potter

Dear friends, I realize many of you may not share all my values, and I'm okay with that. But here is what I've picked up from the Harry Potter series, as it relates to my relationship with Christ.

Harry Potter is a wonderful example of needing a power greater than ourselves. Of course, this power is not described as a god, but it is a power that is in every wizard. Before Hogwarts, Harry could do some stuff, but it wasn't til he accepted he was a wizard that he could start to grow and be trained by teachers and mentors who have been doing this lifestyle for years. Voldemort's purpose is to lie, steal, and kill. He is Satan embodied. Harry can't do this life alone. He needs his community. They all can partner with this wizard power they discovered was in the mirror all along to battle Voldemort. Harry embodies a christian, with innate abilities but is dependent on this greater power to be effective.

Of course every metaphor has its faults. Don't get me started on the self-sacrifice as an ultimate form of love, though. The book has squibs who are people born to wizard families that can't do magic. Is that kids who grow up in a Christian household and just are destined not to be Christians in this life? I don't know. It's a rough metaphor, as I have said. There are also muggles, people of non-wizarding families, who some of which turn into wizards. My friend, Tyler, pointed out to me that Christians are almost all behind Lord of the Rings, even though Gandolf is a wizard. I guess they just skip over that part of the story and jump to witchcraft being an abomination only in Harry Freaking Potter.

I believe our God is big enough to speak to his people through many mediums. Watch out, now! Do I mean medium as in a person who can communicate with the dead? You decide... ;)

Love y'all! I hope you enjoyed my musings.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Christians felt that way about LotR when it came out... Or how Christians will feel about HFP in 70 years... hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the problem is that LOTR is written by a Christian as an allegory, so people feel okay supporting it, even if they don't understand it...haha.

    ReplyDelete